[Standards-JIG] Re: XHTML further simplification

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 16:36:06 UTC 2004

> Further experimentation leads me to ask another question: we currently
> specify 'padding-left' and 'padding-right', but it seems that perhaps
> what we really want is 'margin-left' and 'margin-right'. Based on the
> CSS1 formatting model [1], padding seems to be a bit more complex to
> lay out than a margin.

Yes. Another argument to use 'margin' instead is that 'background-color'
affects the padding area.

Of course using margin would break both IE6 and Opera lists. But, as Byron
noted, it will fix Gecko lists, and the problem is easy to workaround (see
previous mail).

> I also wonder whether we really need to set right
> margins or padding.

It is useful to add space to the right of an inline image.