[Standards-JIG] Re: XHTML further simplification

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Fri Sep 24 01:49:44 UTC 2004

Byron wrote:
> If the XHTML-IM suggested the use of margin-left, and you wanted to be
> able to specify a left margin meaningfully on lists, you should probably
> include the following in the default style sheet:
>
> ol, ul {
>      padding-left: 40px;
>      margin-left: 0;
>      -moz-padding-start: 0;
> }

Thanks. That makes margin-left work well for Gecko, IE6 and Opera.

Instead of 40px I propose we use something like 3em or 4em. That way the
indentation will be proportional to the font size.

Here is a modified version of Peter's document that works on all browsers.
It demonstrates padding for unordered lists and margin for ordered lists:

http://www.clientside.co.uk/xhtml-im.html