[Standards-JIG] from attribute on initial stream header

maqi at jabberstudio.org maqi at jabberstudio.org
Mon Sep 27 21:16:36 UTC 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Matthias Wimmer wrote:

[Just a meta-comment]

> "from -- The 'from' attribute SHOULD be used only in the XML stream
> header from the receiving entity to the initiating entity,
[...]

>From RFC2119:
"3. SHOULD   This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
   carefully weighed before choosing a different course."

While it seems it is quite normal to pepper all standard
documents/RFCs/JEPs with SHOULDs and SHOULD NOTs, I find it quite weird
that in practically none of the cases in which these words are used the
"full implications" are *explained*. Probably things would get too easy
then, with standards being fully comprehensible ;-).

Regards