[Standards-JIG] Re: XHTML further simplification

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Sep 27 23:25:39 UTC 2004

In article <41589E8B.9090900 at apnic.net>, Byron Ellacott <bje at apnic.net>
wrote:

> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > In article <41589491.5000809 at apnic.net>, Byron Ellacott <bje at apnic.net>
> > wrote:
> > My question is: is margin-left a better property to recommend? For
> > example, as Ian said, combining margin-left with background-color yields
> > a potentially nice way to include text that someone else wrote (yes,
> > this shades awfully close to <blockquote/>) or otherwise set off some
> > text, and I have definitely seen this kind of thing being generated by
> > some clients.
>
>  From a personal point of view, I think I'd rather see the background
> colour only apply to the region in question, not its offset also.  This
> would suggest that margin-left is the property I want, and "ol, ul
> {-moz-padding-start: 0; margin-left: 0; padding-left: 40px;}" is the
> recommended default stylesheet entry to go with that.

My sense from Ian's messages is that he would prefer margin-left as well:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2004-September/006382.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2004-September/006396.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2004-September/006402.html
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2004-September/006404.html

Given that no one else seems to have strong feelings about this issue, I
think we consensus on margin-left and will proceed accordingly. We can
always fight this out some more during the Call for Experience. ;-)

/psa