[Standards-JIG] RE: PubSub URI

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Tue Sep 28 04:11:55 UTC 2004

Bob Wyman wrote:
> Nolan Eakins wrote:
>>How would you address a PubSub node or collection with an URI?
> One of the things I think we lost when PubSub subscriptions were
> declared not to be nodes is the ability to refer to a subscription via a
> JID or URI. This will, I think, end up causing us some serious usability
> problems in the future.

I guess you can have a PubSub node as a JID. When I made the post I was
thinking that an extension to XMPP's URI scheme would be needed. Something
along the lines of "user at host/resource#node". '#' or '?' could be used to
delimit a couple of additional fields. '#' would make more sense for nodes
ala HTTP's use of it for anchors, while '?' would probably be better for
command type information to specify a stanza type and default information
ala 'mailto:' URIs.

This could put the 1024 byte limit on the URIs in danger, but do we need to
limit the size?

- Nolan

--
http://www.semanticgap.com/people/sneakin/