[Standards-JIG] RE: PubSub URI

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Wed Sep 29 08:13:26 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 03:16 pm, Trejkaz Xaoza wrote:
> But hang on.  During the phase where XMPP is replacing email, is
> mailto:trejkaz at xaoza.net a Jabber ID or an email address?

An email address, of course.  I had actually meant to say "once XMPP replaces
SMTP", not "once XMPP replaces email".  We'd still have email, just a
different delivery mechanism.

As for knowing which protocol to use for a mailto, just remember that the job
of your client software, in interpretting the mailto URI, is to simply get a
message to your outgoing mailserver.  The target address is irrelevant, as
delivery is the server's job.  So it's not a matter of knowing what protocol
a remote address might use, but actually what your side uses, which simply
amounts to proper configuration of your local client.

-Justin