[Standards-JIG] JEP-0131: name collisions and date formats

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Mon Aug 1 07:08:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 02:51:15PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> I realized that it is possible for name collisions to occur in SHIM.

[...]

> 1. Define the SHIM "Date" [...]

> 2. Define the SHIM "DateTime" [...]

> 4. Define the SHIM "RFC2822Date" [...]

Wasn't SHIM supposed to be used to attach "internet headers" (from
e-mail, HTTP document, etc.) as-they-are? IMHO adding special cases,
which have to be translated breaks the protocol. What if we find another
collision in future? Does any SHIM implementation, whatever it is used
for, need to know all the special cases?

IMHO it would be much better to create SHIM profiles and declare the
profile with the header set. When profile is "rfc822", then RFC 822
rules apply, etc. Multiple SHIM elements with different profiles could
be added to one stanza then. And we could use just "to", "from", etc.
header names for XMPP-headers then too, but I guess it is to late for
this change.

Example:

   <headers xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/shim' profile='rfc822'>
     <header name='To'>Jabber protocol discussion list <standards-jig at jabber.org></header>
     <header name='Subject'>Re: [Standards-JIG] JEP-0131: name collisions and date formats</header>
     <header name='Date'>Mon, 01 Aug 2005 09:07:30 +0200</header>
   </headers>

Greets,
	Jacek