[Standards-JIG] The Great Encryption Debate

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 00:01:27 UTC 2005

>  2) section 9.5 makes no mention of MAC algorithms

JEP-0116 standardises on HMAC. The associated hash algorithm is
negotiated instead (since the hash needs to be negotiated anyway).

>  3) section 9.5.3 mentions ssh-rsa/ssh-dss formats.  I'd prefer the
> more-standard X.509 plain public key formats (not to be confused with
> certificates!  I'm talking about "BEGIN PUBLIC KEY").

If any format is popular then we should add it to the JEP.

What is the standard name for that format? Are you refering to
Generic/Base64-ASN.1?

I think we should include the SSH formats, if only because they are far
less complex than Generic/Base64-ASN.1's X.509 DER-encoded
SubjectPublicKeyInfo object (see RFC 1422).

- Ian