[Standards-JIG] Re: The Great Encryption Debate

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Wed Aug 3 07:40:57 UTC 2005

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> So I propose that we initiate "The Great Encryption Debate". Any and all
> proposals are on the table. Let's publish Justin's "Secure Stanzas"
> proposal. Let's publish a proposal based on W3C XML Encryption and XML
> Signature [4] if someone wants to write such a proposal. Let's debate
> the merits of RFC 3923 and JEP-0027. Let's talk about the Off-the-Record
> Communications (OTR) plugin for Gaim. [5] Let's discuss JEP-0116. [6]
> But let's not just talk, let's also implement. (I apologize in advance
> for the fact that I'm not a good coder, but I'll try to help if I can.)

Had to give some context, but I have a feeling this will only be about
stanza level encryption. We must not forget file transfers, socks5 byte
streams, a future VoIP protocol, etc. All of these should use the same
infrastructure.

Remember this is crypto, so don your tin foil hats while thinking about
this. I don't want to see proprietary or secret information leaking out
through a file transfer or conference call just because we weren't noid
enough.

And this MUST be usable by Aunt Tilly too because she'll want to pay for
her Times' news feed through a data form.

- Nolan