[Standards-JIG] Re: The Great Encryption Debate

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Mon Aug 8 13:13:01 UTC 2005

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Base64 encoding the XML would not be compatible with JEP-0155 (or very
> Jabberish). Signing only the data in a specified order without the XML
> would not be extensible.

It also wouldn't be very useful if the data was the structure of the XML
w/o any cdata.

> The alternative is to require both entities to remove any white-space
> between elements and convert the XML into some canonical form (probably
> according to http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315). This is
> an extra complication for implementors, but I would expect it to work.

Whitespace IS important in XML. Ideally nothing should touch it. If this
wasn't the case then our "message/body"s would be all screwy. It's XML,
not [X]HTML.

> David, what were the problems you found with servers?

My guess would be that their parsers aren't up to spec.

- Nolan