[Standards-JIG] Re: The Great Encryption Debate

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 01:19:30 UTC 2005

On 8/8/05, Ian Paterson <ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk> wrote:
> All protocols, including S/MIME and PGP, have to face the same public
> key verification challenges. So this list agreed last week that the
> protocol for publishing keys will be split into a separate generally
> applicable JEP (as soon as someone has the time to write it).

If I may make a point--

  This is why both systems have failed to grow to a substantial user
populatoin outside of geek circles.  From my viewpoint (HCI), the key
exchange part is the more important part for the future of XMPP.

> > For Jabber, it means that you have to place
> > total trust in the servers at each end.

> IMHO JEP-0116 does not require the clients to trust the servers in any
> way. Let me know if I have missed an issue, or if the JEP does not make
> something clear.

And that's how it should be.  /me dons tinfoil hat.

--
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
im:hal at jabber.rocks.cc
http://halr9000.com