[Standards-JIG] Re: What happened to the ACK proposal?

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Mon Aug 15 22:57:00 UTC 2005

On Monday 15 August 2005 03:39 pm, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> Op maandag 15 augustus 2005 23:49, schreef David Chisnall:
> > On 15 Aug 2005, at 22:34, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> > > What about "JEP-0079: Advanced Message
> > > Processing" (http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0079.html)?
> >
> > This allows someone to detect if a message gets to my server, and my
> > server puts it in the TCP-stream.  If, however, my TCP connection has
> > dropped then the message will be silently lost (as far as I can
> > tell).
>
> I don't think so. There are 3 options (as far as I can see):
> * You will get a reply from the receiving server that says:
>    - Your message is stored offline.
>    - Your message is delivered to the sender (if he is online).
> * You will get a bounce. (now you know there was a problem)
> * You will get no answer. (now you know there was a problem (assumed that
> JEP-0079 is made a MUST protocol))

Actually, AMP as a way of ensuring delivery is rather worthless without
JEP-Ack.  For example, if the recipient lost his connection, then the
recipient's server might deliver the message into a black hole and report
success back to you.

AMP and JEP-Ack solve different problems, and complement each other.

-Justin