[Standards-JIG] Re: What happened to the ACK proposal?

David Waite dwaite at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 21:34:03 UTC 2005

On 8/16/05, Justin Karneges <justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 August 2005 12:16 pm, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> Personally, I think AMP is fine the way it is.  With JEP-Ack, we solve several
> problems, including those with AMP.  No need for AMP to solve these things on
> its own, creating unnecessary overlap.

Well, if the client is connecting via a translating proxy, you still
have solved nothing. Your proxy also has to use ACK or create some
equivalent hop to hop confirmation mechanism.

I still believe there are two things needed - end to end delivery
notifications for 'at least once' delivery of messages, and separately
- a keepalive mode where a server can send a message which must be
replied to (explicitly by sending stanza back to the server, or
implicitly by sending any other stanza) in order to enforce session
freshness at the application level.

-David Waite