[Standards-JIG] Re: What happened to the ACK proposal?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Aug 17 20:10:28 UTC 2005

Ian Paterson wrote:
> One thing I would like to see added to RFC 3920bis is something that no
> single-hop transport layer can solve. If a proxy finds it can't deliver
> a stanza to a client then it needs to be able to bounce the stanza back
> to the user's server. The server can then deliver the stanza the next
> time the user logs in, even if that is via a different proxy or a direct
> connection.

There are no proxies in the XMPP architecture as defined in RFC 3920.
Please define the term and specify how it applies to this discussion. If
you mean something like a connection manager, then I think the concern
is implementation-specific or, at most, should be addressed in JEP-0114
for external components or in JEP-0124 for HTTP connection managers. If
you mean something other than a connection manager, then I don't see how
this belongs in rfc3920bis.

Jabber Software Foundation