[Standards-JIG] Boolean Attributes in XML (xs:boolean)

Nolan Eakins sneakin at semanticgap.com
Thu Aug 18 17:19:34 UTC 2005

It was pointed out to me that my implementation of bookmark storage for
Psi was wrong since I was using "true" and "false" for the autojoin
attribute. A similiar "problem" was found with Psi's dataforms when I
was working on room configuration for MUC with mu-conference. Looking at
the W3C's XML Schema spec this apparently is /not/ a problem [1].

There does exist two problems though:
	* Examples in JEPs typically only show "0" or "1" for boolean
attributes causing implementors to only support "0" and "1".
	* The above results in broken implementations which need to be more
liberal in what they accept as a boolean.

To fix the first issue, JEPs that use "xs:boolean"s should make use of
both 0/1 and false/true in their examples to prevent us lazy
implementors who only read the examples from causing problems.

The second one needs some coding. This post is my warning to the owners
and contributors to all the projects out there.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#boolean

- Nolan