[Standards-JIG] HTTP Binding autodiscovery

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Wed Aug 24 04:44:36 UTC 2005

I'm wondering whether there should be a way for a client to find a binding
server so that the client doesn't have to ask the user for the URL (which the
user never knows.)

I have to admit, this was brought to my attention by Google Talk, which tries
connecting via HTTP after (I assume) failing to connect through TCP.

Talk would have no trouble finding the HTTP binding agent, of course, since it's
probably hard-coded into the application.  But using a combination of SRV and
TXT records (see ZeroConf) would let us put the location of the binding service
into DNS, for clients to find automatically.

Does something like this sound useful as an addition to JEP-0124?  I think that
without auto-discovery of the binding service, only users who had it configured
for them by someone else would ever find the thing.

TX