[Standards-JIG] HTTP Binding autodiscovery

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Aug 24 12:15:43 UTC 2005

> But using a combination of SRV and TXT records (see ZeroConf)
> would let us put the location of the binding service into
> DNS, for clients to find automatically.

This sounds like a good idea.

Note that constrained clients may not be able to take advantage of TXT
records. For that reason JEP-0124 offers a 'see-other-uri' error (see
section 14.2). So clients simply need to guess some obvious URLs (e.g.
http://jabber.org/bind) and allow themselves to be redirected (if
necessary). The JEP does not specify the 'obvious URLs', perhaps it
should?

Of course it will not always be desirable to respond via HTTP on the
obvious URL. So this TXT record option should prove useful.

I must admit that I've never read up on either TXT records or ZeroConf,
and I've got my hands pretty full with JEP-0116 right now. Would someone
with this knowledge volunteer to write up a very brief new section about
optional Automatic URL Discovery for JEP-0124?

Thanks,

- Ian