[Standards-JIG] HTTP Binding autodiscovery

Tomasz Sterna tomasz.sterna at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 12:43:33 UTC 2005

2005/8/24, Trejkaz <trejkaz at trypticon.org>:
> I have to admit, this was brought to my attention by Google Talk, which tries
> connecting via HTTP after (I assume) failing to connect through TCP.
> Talk would have no trouble finding the HTTP binding agent, of course, since it's
> probably hard-coded into the application.

Not exactly. They just listen for XMPP on port 80.
Check my findings at: http://smoku.jogger.pl/comment.php?eid=142564

I'm using same technique for over a year now - WPJabber is able to
detect HTTP requests and send redirects to browsers, so I'm operating
my jabber server (chrome.pl) on ports 80, 443,5222, 5223 and 8080.
WPJabber also detects SSL connections automatically so my users are
able to connect from almost anywhere. :-)

> But using a combination of SRV and
> TXT records (see ZeroConf) would let us put the location of the binding service
> into DNS, for clients to find automatically.

It was suggested before on jdev:
http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/jdev/2004-October/019430.html
"Probably (by analogy) _xmpp-client._http.jabber.org ?"

--
smk