[Standards-JIG] anti-spim techniques

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Sun Aug 28 19:33:36 UTC 2005

> I'm always happy to draft another proto-JEP. I've already
> written three others so far this weekend. ;-)

Thank you. An 'early and often' Bot-Proof Challenges 'building block'
proto-JEP would be very good to have. :)

>> Yes. I was thinking clients could be offered a choice of challenges.

> I still see value in a web registration technique

Yes. I think we should allow in-band, Web and other techniques.

> 1. Preventing SPIM on a standalone IM service
> 2. Preventing SPIM on an interconnected IM network

Yes. Although I prefered Tijl's and Sander's labeling for the two
problems:

1. SPIM from clients
2. SPIM from servers

Their labelling avoids mentioning the 'hot' issue of standalone IM
services. Once you get past the semantics, are we talking about the same
two problems?

- Ian