[Standards-JIG] anti-spim techniques

Tomasz Sterna tomasz.sterna at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 20:52:51 UTC 2005

2005/8/28, Ian Paterson <ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk>:
> > providers even might want to send email over XMPP... ;-)
> Seriously, I do expect email SPAM will motivate most people to switch
> from email to offline IM delivery within the next few years

The ideas presented here http://cr.yp.to/im2000.html
address many of the concerns of SPAM/SPIM

The main point is moving responsibility (and COST) of delivering a
message from the reciever (as it is now) to the sender. It's sender's
interest to take care of delivery.
This way we don't need any artificial "challenges" (images,
cpu-intensive tasks) on the reciever side. Keeping the message
available is costly enough.
There is no way of filling up of reciever's mailbox.
If the sender wants to send one million od messages, it's HIS job (and
cost) of keeping them. One cannot distribute the cost to one million
recievers.

--
smk