[Standards-JIG] privacy2 anti-SPIM proto-JEP

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Aug 29 17:03:54 UTC 2005

Ian Paterson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just pulled together an anti-spim proto-JEP based on people's ideas
> discussed on the JDEV list and on this list over the last couple of
> days. All feedback and flames are very welcome:
>
> http://www.clientside.co.uk/jeps/jep-privacy2/jep-privacy2.html

I continue to think that changes to the RFCs need to happen through the
Internet Standards Process, not in the JSF.

Other quick comments:

1. Why do we need the "correspondent" type? Just add someone to your
roster and use the "subscription" type. Forcing the server to keep track
of everyone you have communicated with in the last year seems like
overkill to me.

2. The matching rules specified in Section 10.1 of RFC 3921 imply that
the proposed "domain" type is unnecessary.

I have to think about the challenge action some more, since it seems to
me that the success or failure of the challenge is a precondition to
deciding whether to allow or deny...

Jabber Software Foundation