[Standards-JIG] privacy2 anti-SPIM proto-JEP

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Mon Aug 29 18:42:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:31:31 +0200, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org>
wrote:

> 4. You send me a subscription request which includes a <status/> child
> that describes why you want to subscribe to my presence.
> 5. My client shows me your request, the <status/> text, enables me to
> check your vCard (or successor), etc. (see my proto-JEP on best
> practices).

I still don't understand how you want to stop spim with these. About 80%
of all SPIM I ever received was in either one of these (subscription
request or profile information).

It seems a lot more logical to me that the server, and then the client,
try to weed out spimmers without bothering the user. When it comes to this
scenario, it's already too late, so it's pretty much irrelevant to talk
about this in the context of of trying to prevent spim.