[Standards-JIG] privacy2 anti-SPIM proto-JEP

Tomasz Sterna tomasz.sterna at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 20:37:52 UTC 2005

2005/8/29, Bart van Bragt <jabber at vanbragt.com>:
> Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> About this challenge system; what if I have a very useful service of
> XMPP that happens to be automated (i.e. a legitimate bot). Asking users
> to manually add my bot to their privacy (white)list doesn't sound very
> appealing to me.

As soon as they message your bot for help (and add it to corespondents
list) or add it to roster, they poke a hole in the spimfilter and
allow messages from your bot. :-)

> Doesn't anyone here have connections with some of the (email) spam
> fighters out there?

Experience form the email world could be misleading.
They have the SMTP that they cannot change.
We have the opportunity to design a protocol as we like it. :-)

2005/8/29, Bart van Bragt <jabber at vanbragt.com>:
> Maybe there's an opportunity here to incorporate the e2e web of trust in
> this? Or use something like http://www.advogato.org/trust-metric.html
> (yes, there it is again. Has been discussed on these lists since 2000 :D).

Oh... If we begin the story of e2ee, web of trust or any other
advanced technique again, we won't even design the protocol in this
century.;-)
(Year 2000 was the last of the 20th century.)

KISS is what I like most in Ian's proposal.

--
smk