[Standards-JIG] privacy2 anti-SPIM proto-JEP

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Tue Aug 30 01:38:53 UTC 2005

Quoting Tijl Houtbeckers <thoutbeckers at splendo.com>:
> Well, I occasionally still use ICQ when I need to send a file to
> someone  (better NAT support I'm afraid). The reason you get the spim
> (a few every  hour) in subscription requests and fake profiles is
> because ICQ blocks  messages from people outside your contactlist (it
> can pop up a message box  if you want to receive it if you change a
> setting). Some different types  of SPIM encountered on ICQ:
<snip>

I have a somewhat different experience of ICQ spam, perhaps because I have
always had an ICQ transport enabled, ever since moving to Jabber.

I have received maybe 3 ICQ spams in the past year, and every single one was a
normal message.  But, the messages all looked roughly the same, so the
characteristics of the message itself is probably more than enough for the
average Bayesian filter to pick up.

I also think that receiving messages from people not on my roster would be
better than blocking them.  Too many people already add me just for a one-line
question, when they could be messaging me directly.  Directly *encouraging*
this sort of behaviour would be detrimental for everyone involved.  It's hard
enough to keep a roster clean, without random one-liners trying to get
onto it.
:)

TX