[Standards-JIG] privacy2 anti-SPIM proto-JEP

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Tue Aug 30 22:16:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 06:06, Bart van Bragt wrote:
> Systems like this already exist in the email world and aren't exactly
> popular (try a Google search on 'challenge response email spam', I have
> to admit that quite a few of the problems with these systems are not
> valid if the system is implemented on XMPP).

Most of the complaints I've seen about CR email systems are the spam that a
user gets from CR systems if they're "joe jobbed".  But actually, even
without CR systems, if a user gets joe jobbed, they're still going to receive
a crapload of spam from all the invalid mail addresses which the spammer sent
mail to, so the problem doesn't instantly go away by not using that kind of
system.

Catering for blind people is a real issue with most challenge/response
systems, however, particularly the sort where an image-based CAPTCHA is in
use.  I'm sure a lot of countries have laws like here, where you're not
permitted to discriminate against the disabled, and have to offer them the
exact same level of service.  Normally that might mean an audio fallback to
the image challenge, but maybe it just means we have to avoid the image
things altogether and ask simple questions of some sort.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at trypticon.org>
          Web site: http://trypticon.org/