[Standards-JIG] proposal : defer action in AMP (JEP 79)

Jacques Belissent jacques.belissent at sun.com
Wed Aug 31 07:51:23 UTC 2005

Hi,

Section 11 of RFC 3921 says:

Else if the JID is of the form <user at domain/resource> and no available
resource matches the full JID, the recipient's server (a) ...,  (b), and
(c) SHOULD treat the stanza as if it were addressed to <user at domain> if
it is a message stanza.

I am looking for a way to ensure that *some* message stanzas are only
delivered to the resource specified in the to attribute, and stored
otherwise for later delivery (when this one resource becomes available).
  I looked into doing this using AMP, but unfortunately no defined
action allows this.

Is there any way to achieve this behavior?

If not, is there a problem with the following registration proposal?

<action>
   <name>defer</name>
   <ns>http://jabber.org/protocol/amp?action=defer</ns>
   <behavior>
     The message is stored for later delivery.  It is recommended to
front any use of this action with an use an expiry rule.
   </behavior>
   <doc>JEP-0079</doc>
</action>

Example use:

<message to='abba at example.com/specialapp'
          from='zxxz at example.com/zzzz'
          id='msg11'>
   <amp xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/amp'>
     <rule condition='expire-at'
           action='drop'
           value='2007-06-23T23:00:00Z'/>
     <rule condition='match-resource' value='other' action='defer'/>
   </amp>
</message>

This causes the message to be delivered is abba at example.com/special is
available, otherwise stored until it become available or the expiration
date is reached.

Thanks in advance,
Jacques