[Standards-JIG] bot-challenge proto-JEP

Bart van Bragt jabber at vanbragt.com
Wed Aug 31 11:37:58 UTC 2005

Sander Devrieze wrote:
> I have not yet readed the whole proto-JEPs, but I think image and audio
> recognition should be removed because of accessibility problems.
Clients that are used by blind people can specify that they don't want
the image. Using just text questions is going to lead to a lot of
problems, most importantly i18n issues.

> About "Text Question and Answer".
> 1) Common parts:
> * The easiest will be multiple-choice.
Which will also be fairly easy to guess. You can't present 20 choices to
a human user so spammers can just try it until they have a hit.

> * Problems should be maybe also possible. E.g: "There are three people
> jabbering to eachother. Jef arrives with his car while he hits two of them.
> This car contains also his child and a cat. The eldest he hit died. How many
> living human beings do we have at the end of this story?"
I have absolutely no clue, you lost me :)

> * The *user* can set his own question and answers.
99% of the users are not going to do this and they are going to stick
with the defaults which is going to make the life of spammers _very_
easy. Same with default questions on server installations. Also keep in
mind that this method is not going to work if the CAPTCHA isn't really
close to perfect. Spammers can abuse the system as soon as they can get
a few percent hits...

Bart