[Standards-JIG] bot-challenge proto-JEP

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Wed Aug 31 13:30:27 UTC 2005

> I have not yet readed the whole proto-JEPs, but I think image and audio
> recognition should be removed because of accessibility problems.

I think if anything it should be the other way around, textual questions if
not written by the user (i.e. come from a standard library of questions) are
completely useless as spammers will easily be able to build up a list of
questions and answers that their spamming bots can automatically reply to
with the correct answer. The image (captcha) and audio tho should be
accessable enough for both bind and deaf people to use (hotmail/microsoft
get away with using it on their registration and I find it highly unlikely
their legal teams havent ensured that this conforms to the disability
discrimination laws of the countries they operate in), also the
internationalisation is if anything easier with image and audio than it is
with text questions, as only the sounds really need to be internationalised,
and of those there is only really one clip for each letter and number (and
maybe symbols) you need to consider, whereas with text questions there is a
practically limitless amount of internationalisation to do.

Also I find it unlikely that "Aunt Tilly" will want to spend time developing
her own questions and will likely just use a standard library of questions
and answers making the questions useless.

Richard