[Standards-JIG] bot-challenge proto-JEP

Sander Devrieze s.devrieze at pandora.be
Wed Aug 31 16:00:50 UTC 2005

Op woensdag 31 augustus 2005 15:30, schreef Richard Dobson:
> > I have not yet readed the whole proto-JEPs, but I think image and audio
> > recognition should be removed because of accessibility problems.
>
> I think if anything it should be the other way around, textual questions if
> not written by the user (i.e. come from a standard library of questions)
> are completely useless as spammers will easily be able to build up a list
> of questions and answers that their spamming bots can automatically reply
> to with the correct answer.

Users and server admins should be smart enough to:
* not use such lists,
* be creative and invent their own questions (the number of possibile
questions is unlimited),
* users (privacy lists) will be smart enough to change their question when
some spimmer find the answer,
* admins (in-band registration) will be smart enough to change questions from
time to time (especially commercial servers like Google); at least they will
be able to replace questions that spimmers know the answer of.

> The image (captcha) and audio tho should be
> accessable enough for both bind and deaf people to use (hotmail/microsoft
> get away with using it on their registration and I find it highly unlikely
> their legal teams havent ensured that this conforms to the disability
> discrimination laws of the countries they operate in),

I don't want Jabber to be accessible because laws say; I want Jabber to be
accessible because it will be higher valued (than other technologies) by
disabled people.

> also the
> internationalisation is if anything easier with image

See  my reply to Bart van Bragt's post.

> and audio than it is
> with text questions,

I guess audio is even more hard, isn't it?

> as only the sounds really need to be
> internationalised, and of those there is only really one clip for each
> letter and number (and maybe symbols) you need to consider,

What about deaf people? If the information on Wikipedia is accurate:
"Worldwide, at least 5% (1 in 20) are estimated to have a hearing problem
great enough to cause them some
difficulty." ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaf )

> whereas with
> text questions there is a practically limitless amount of
> internationalisation to do.

See  my reply to Bart van Bragt's post.

> Also I find it unlikely that "Aunt Tilly" will want to spend time
> developing her own questions and will likely just use a standard library of
> questions and answers making the questions useless.

She can do that, but she also will discover (hopefully not of course) that she
better can change her question when she starts receiving a lot of spim...

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.

xmpp:sander at devrieze.dyndns.org ( http://jabber.tk/ )