[Standards-JIG] Re: privacy2 anti-SPIM proto-JEP

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 16:22:05 UTC 2005

Tomasz wrote:
> How do I allow messages from people with subscription='none'?
> (I don't want to see their presence and don't want to send mine.
> I just want to keep them on my roster.)

Instead of using the 'subscription' type, you add items to the list with
type='group' for each group in your roster. (Or use type='jid' if these
roster items are exceptions).

Obviously, the source of the difficulty here is that jabber:iq:privacy
treats subscription='none' the same as 'not on my roster'.

If you really think this is a serious problem in the wild (I'm not sure
it is), then we could propose fifth subscription value (e.g. 'unknown')
for jabber:iq:privacy in RFC 3921bis.

- Ian