[Standards-JIG] bot-challenge proto-JEP

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Aug 31 19:25:36 UTC 2005

> 1. Romeo sends subscription request to Juliet.

Q1: Has Romeo blocked all stanzas from everyone including Juliet?

Q2: What if he sends a message?
[I think we pretty much reached consensus on this list that people want
to continue to be able to send messages to other people without being on
their rosters.]
[I assume you aren't saying that in order to receive a message from
someone (who may still be a stranger) I have to allow them to see my
presence.]

> 2. Juliet's server sends a message to Romeo's client, including a
> plaintext body, a URL (JEP-0066), and a data form.
> 3. Romeo replies to the plaintext challenge, visits the URL,
> or returns the form.
> 4. If he passes one of the tests, he gets another message
> from Juliet's server telling him that he's cleared to
> communicate with Juliet.

Q3: Is his presence subscription forwarded to Juliet?

I like the optional "Out-of-band challenge". Good idea. :) I've started
to add it to the Bot-Challenges proto-JEP.

- Ian