[Standards-JIG] proposal : defer action in AMP (JEP 79)

Jacques Belissent jacques.belissent at sun.com
Wed Aug 31 21:13:04 UTC 2005

Maciek Niedzielski wrote:

> Jacques Belissent wrote:
>
>>I am looking for a way to ensure that *some* message stanzas are only
>>delivered to the resource specified in the to attribute, and stored
>>otherwise for later delivery (when this one resource becomes available).
>> I looked into doing this using AMP, but unfortunately no defined action
>>allows this.
>

> And what if I don't give an expiration date and user does not login to
> that resource ever? Should it be stored forever?
> I guess that the implementators would like to be able to do something
> with deferred messages after some time of waiting.
> I think it would be a good idea to have two different actions:
> a) defer or drop after some time
> b) defer or deliver to any resource after some time

This is not an entirely new problem.  Stored messages that have no AMP
extension and not been picked up somehow have to be dealt with one way
or another.  This is up to the implemtation and site policies.
unexpiring deferred messages could be submitted to the same policies.

a) makes it more explicit that setting up an expiration date when
deferring is a good idea.  On the other hand, the action registration
template does not allow registering actions that can be parameterized
with additional parameters.  This would require significantly changing
the spec.  If that were done, b) could be done as well.

Are there real-life use cases for b)?

Jacques