[Standards-JIG] VPN over IM

Chad Groneman mrcsg at et.byu.edu
Wed Aug 31 21:46:57 UTC 2005

Hi,

I was just talking to a friend about an idea I had, and he suggested I
post it here.  I looked at the JEPS and couldn't find this listed.
Here's my idea:

I think it would be cool to be able to package IP packets through
jabber.  The reason for doing this would be to allow computers with
non-routable IP addresses (on different networks) to create IP
connections to each other. Maybe this could be tacked on to the SOAP
extension.

I'll give an example.

If three gamers wanted to play a private LAN game, but all used
non-routable IP addresses with different ISPs, they would either have to
throw a LAN party, or find a public server on the net that would allow
them to create their private game.  If one could create a virtual
network through his IM client, and send invites to others to join
(complete with IP information such as IP address, netmask, etc), they
could create a virtual network through any IM server, such as
talk.google.com, if this were adopted.  They could then play their game
over the VPN created in the IM.

This has business applications as well, particularly when the IM server
uses SSL.  It would in effect be a cheap VPN available for small
businesses to use.

I think it would be cool if the protocol was extended to allow IP
packets to be packaged into it (maybe have to be altered, the way email
attachments are?).  I think a lot of college gamers would be all over
this technology.

Let me know what y'all think.

Thanks,

Chad Groneman