[Standards-JIG] Re: Client Capabilities (rant)

Remko Troncon remko at psi-im.org
Fri Dec 2 23:34:51 UTC 2005

On 03 Dec 2005, at 0:16, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> Absolutely not necessary to send version requests. One of the main
> purposes of JEP-0115 was to forestall the need for the old version
> flood.

I was wondering about this. Most clients do the version iq to
determine what icon to show for an avatarless contact, or to provide
information on what client a contact is using. Caps doesn't really
help with this, as all caps does is provide a way to determine
disco#info features without querying and without knowing what client
the other side is using (except for an abstract client version string
which has no mapping to a real client string). So unless clients stop
providing that information for every contact automatically, the iq
flood will stay i'm affraid :-(

cheers,
Remko