[Standards-JIG] XMPP URIs was: Two questions regardingJEP-0124HTTP Binding

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Dec 7 18:53:43 UTC 2005

Christopher Zorn wrote:
> On 12/7/05, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
>> Mridul Muralidharan wrote:

>>> Option 1 is sufficient for now ... but potentially limiting.
>>> Using "xmpp:host:port" or "xmpp://host:port" (or variations thereof)
>>> would take care of potential future requirements from what we can
>>> envision now ...
>>> Since there are already implementations of clients and
>>> servers/connection managers out there - the changes made should be , if
>>> possible , as backwardly compatible as possible.
>> The more I think about it, the more I don't like specifying URIs
>> (because there are all sorts of rules for processing those which don't
>> apply to us here) but I don't have strong objections to proto:host:port
>> (even though I think proto: is unnecessary and I think it's potentially
>> confusing to have something that looks like a URI but isn't). How many
>> people have implemented this feature (which was added to JEP-0124 in June)?
>>

> It is implemented in punjab, and it checks for xmpp: to start. Other
> than that, I do not parse it as an URI, so I do not think it is
> necessary. host:port is fine by me. :)

OK. I have changed it to be "proto:host:port", see here:

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/tmp/jep-0124-1.4.html

The relevant text is:

******

A connection manager MAY be configured to enable sessions with more than
one XMPP server in different domains. When requesting a session with
such a 'proxy' connection manager, a client SHOULD include a 'route'
attribute that specifies the protocol, hostname, and port of the server
with which it wants to communicate, formatted as "proto:host:port"
(e.g., "xmpp:jabber.org:9999"). [11]

[11] Although the syntax of the 'route' attribute bears a superficial
resemblance to a URI or IRI, it is not a URI/IRI and MUST NOT be
processed in accordance with the rules specified in RFC 3986, RFC 3987,
or draft-saintandre-xmpp-iri.

******

Naturally this is provisional text and it must be approved by the Jabber
Council since the JEP is Draft.

Jabber Software Foundation