[Standards-JIG] proposed In-Band Registration revisions

Vinod Panicker vinod.p at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 17:05:38 UTC 2005

On 12/8/05, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
> Vinod Panicker wrote:
>
> > Good to see the changes regarding requirement of old password before
> > any changes are done.
>
> That is optional, not a requirement for all implementations.

Yes, of course.

> > What abt currently active sessions, though?
> >
> > http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards-jig/2005-November/009215.html
>
> There are two kinds of entities with which you can register: a server
> (e.g., jabber.org) or a service (e.g., conference.jabber.org). Your
> concern applies only to the former. IMHO, if you unregister then a
> server should log you off and terminate all active sessions/streams.

I'm of the opinion that unregistration should be avoided as far as possible :)

But if it has to be done, then it should not be allowed when there are
active sessions.

What happens to existing rosters entries and pending subscriptions and
the like after a unregistration?  IMO it just opens a pandora's box.

Regards,
Vinod.