[Standards-JIG] Re: Avatar Image Hashes

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Fri Dec 9 11:35:24 UTC 2005

Remko Troncon wrote:
> There is also a problem if your client does not save the associated hash
> with the image in the cache, but re-computes the hash itself. This should
> be avoided anyway.

Good point. It should be called a unique ID. Microsoft would call it a
GUID. Creating a GUID with a hash function should be an implementation
note only.

But since it says: "hash of the image data", it is not a just a unique
ID. It is a hash. It is a hash of the original data and the hash can be
computed on the receiver side from the original data.

For the future, we should call it a GUID, without telling, that it could
be a hash.

hw
--
Dr. Heiner Wolf