[Standards-JIG] Re: Avatar Image Hashes

JD Conley jd.conley at coversant.net
Fri Dec 9 18:12:26 UTC 2005

> Remko Troncon wrote:
> > There is also a problem if your client does not save the associated
hash
> > with the image in the cache, but re-computes the hash itself. This
> should
> > be avoided anyway.
>

> For the future, we should call it a GUID, without telling, that it
could
> be a hash.

It is quite useful as a hash of the image data if more than one person
on the contact list has the same avatar. If it were only a GUID and not
a hash then you could not assume that the GUID from two different JID's
were the same. You'd also have to cache avatars based on JID as well as
GUID instead of just a simple flat store of hashes.

-JD Conley