[Standards-JIG] zero-conf spec?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Dec 13 16:38:18 UTC 2005

Someone asked me offlist about client-to-client implementations of XMPP,
which made me realize that we have never documented how to use Jabber
with zero-configuration networking (a la iChat's Bonjour/Rendezvous
mode). If folks are interested, I could write up a short spec
documenting how that works. The basic idea is that you discover other
clients on a network using RFC 3927 (obviating the need for
authentication with a server as described in RFC 3920), then exchange
messages and presence directly between clients. But it might help to
write up a brief JEP about that so other client developers can follow
the spec rather than try to guess. :-)