[Standards-JIG] Entity Capabilities

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 00:27:22 UTC 2005

On 19 Dec 2005, at 00:20, Nolan Eakins wrote:
> Remko Troncon wrote:
>> E.g., if one gets the following caps info:
>> 	<c node="http://mynode.org/caps" version="0.1" ext="myext" />
>> and this info from another contact:
>> 	<c node="http://mynode.org/caps" version="0.2" ext="myext" />
>> should a client send a disco request to both contacts on node
>> http://mynode.org/caps#myext, and store the response for each node/
>> version
>> combination, or should we assume that 'myext' will be the same
>> reply for
>> *all* versions of a given client ?
> I wouldn't assume that a capability is the same for even a single
> version of a client. A client implementor may choose to allow a
> capability to be enabled or disabled, thus making the capabilities
> different for each instance of that client.

That's exactly what ext= is for specifying, when the same version
returns the same entry in ext, it's essential for it to be the same
extension; the question is whether 'oompaloompaext' in uberclient
0.9.3 is the same feature as  'oompaloompaext' in 0.10. Unless the
JEP says otherwise, I don't think we can safely assume it'll give the
same disco reply between versions. OTOH, I'd be happy if the JEP said
it must be, I think.

/K

--
Kevin Smith