[Standards-JIG] JEP-0136 status

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 22:17:31 UTC 2005

Peter wrote:
> JEP-0136 Message Archiving:
>
> Status unknown.

This JEP is very much alive. The only reason it is not yet ready to
advance towards Draft status is that its Encryption section is not
finalised. In an ideal world implementations would be able to reuse the
code that will be required for JEP-0116 "Esessions" (which is still
under development).

FYI, due to lack of server implementations, I originally implemented a
non-standard variant of this JEP without encryption. (It relies on
private storage.) More recently, I believe Stefan Strigler (of JWchat)
has produced both client and server implementations.

Also FYI, I immediately dismissed the idea of basing this JEP on
JEP-0163 (Simplified Personal Publish-Subscribe) because non-simple
features would need to be added to SPPS.

- Ian