[Standards-JIG] XHTML-IM content in presence and IQ?

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Wed Dec 21 23:25:52 UTC 2005

> We could (1) delete it or (2) change it to something like this:
>
> <presence type='unavailable'>
>    <status>gone for a while</status>
>    <x xmlns='jabber:x:oob'>
>      <url>http://www.saint-andre.com/blog/</url>
>    </x>
> </presence>
>
> IMHO it's including the x:oob data in <status/> that's evil. I don't
> have strong objections to including it as a child of <presence/>.

IMHO if this protocol is not in widespread use then it could be deleted.
That would simplifiy the JEP and future client implementations.

Also, examples like this can encourage people to add other payloads to
presence stanzas (evil unless really necessary). Note, I'm definitely
not saying we should ban this usage, just that we shouldn't encourage
it.

- Ian