[Standards-JIG] FW: Jingle - P2P and PBX calls

Scott Ludwig scottlu at google.com
Fri Dec 23 17:24:13 UTC 2005

JEP-0166 is a generic service for negotiating a session and
establishing and maintaining p2p streams between two end points
through NATs and firewalls.

JEP-0167 is a specific session type for audio, that uses JEP-0166 for
sesssion signaling and p2p stream establishment.

Anything that can be sent over a stream is fair game for a new session type.

If you want to plug in a PBX, so you can have a Jingle client on one
side, and some other (non-Jingle) phone on the other side, you need a
gateway that knows how to translate the signaling, end point
addressing, and potentially media format if something other than RTP
is needed. There will be a Jingle-SIP JEP upcoming that describes this
gatewaying for SIP. Likewise for IAX and H.323.

Asterisk will get this gatewaying knowledge built into to it (ideally :-)).

Does that answer the question?