[Standards-JIG] FW: Jingle - P2P and PBX calls

Hal Rottenberg halr9000 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 02:53:05 UTC 2005

On 12/27/05, Simon <simon at nureality.ca> wrote:
> Is this correct? So Jingle is now flexible so the client can support many
> different formats either through gateways or through actual client
> supporting that session type?

Yup.  Jingle *signalling* may support different formats.  But I
wouldn't necessarily lump gateways in the same sentence there.
Gateways will appear to a Jingle endpoint as a Jingle-supported
format.  i.e.just like when I use an AIM transport to send a message
to an AIM user, I don't have to use the AIM program or protocol, and I
don't even have to know what AIM is.  If I'm Jingle Audio and call
through a gateway to a SIP endpoint, does my client know how to talk
SIP?  The answer to that would be no.

That being said, I can't wait for the first open source SIP<->Jingle
gateway.  :)

--
Psi webmaster (http://psi-im.org)
im:hal at jabber.rocks.cc