[Standards-JIG] pubsub access models

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 01:10:32 UTC 2005

On 29 Dec 2005, at 00:55, Hal Rottenberg wrote:
> On 12/28/05, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote:
>> Also, which access model should be the default? Right now in my
>> provisional text I have "open" as the default. That seems consistent
>> with JEP-0060 as it stands today.
>
> I think port 135 should be open by default, too.  :)  How about
> "presence" instead?  People who use IM will understand the concept
> that someone has to be on your "buddy list" in order to see certain
> types of information.  The alternative of "open" would make sharing
> this data more seamless, but could lead to unintended privacy issues.

I think presence makes sense for im-related pubsub, which is pretty
much what spps is all about.
For generic pubsub, presence makes very little sense I think, does
it? I don't know how to approach this discrepancy. If we can say in
60 that open is the default but that specific profiles of 60 can set
other defaults, and then do so in the spps profile, that sounds good.

--
Kevin Smith
Psi Jabber client maintainer (http://psi-im.org/)