[Standards-JIG] JEP-0004 Data Forms issues

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 11:46:27 UTC 2005

Peter wrote:
> I think that needs to be corrected to:
>
> * <value/> -- The XML character data of this element defines
> the default value for the field, the data provided by an
> entity that has completed the form, or a data result. In
> data forms of type "form", an entity SHOULD NOT attempt to
> enforce a default value if it is not provided via the
> <value/> element.

IMHO that last sentence should be:
"In data forms of type 'form', it is RECOMMENDED that an entity does not
enforce a *different* default value if one *is* provided via a <value/>
element."

> If the field type is "list-multi", the <field/>
> element MAY contain more than one <value/> child.

Yes. Only four of the field types (list-multi, jid-multi, text-multi,
hidden) should be allowed to contain more than one <value/> child. To
make this clear to implementors, perhaps these could be specified in
"Table 2: Field Types"?

IMHO, type 'hidden' should be allowed multiple values since that makes
it trivial for client developers to simplify a form before presenting it
to the user - by changing the type of fields to 'hidden'. I also know of
one server implementation that includes multiple values in hidden form
fields.

> * <option/> -- One of the options in a field of type "list-single"
> or "list-multi". The XML character of the <value/> child defines
> the option value, and the 'label' attribute defines a
> human-readable name for the option. The <option/> element MUST
> contain one and only one <value/> child.

Yes.

It would also make things clearer for implementors if the field with
type 'list-multi' in Example 2 "Service Returns Bot Creation Form" were
to include two default values (as per Joe's example):

<field type='list-multi'
       label='What features will the bot support?'
       var='features'>
  <value>news</value>
  <value>search</value>
</field>

One more informative suggestion: Might it be helpful to add an explicit
note to state that, "fields of type 'jid-single' and 'jid-multi' MUST
NOT contain <option/> elements"? (That would eliminate any potential
doubts that might occur due to the fact that the UIs of the 'jid' and
'list' fields are the same.)

Thanks,

- Ian