[Standards-JIG] JEP-0004 Data Forms issues

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Fri Dec 30 22:12:37 UTC 2005

> > IMHO that last sentence should be:
> > "In data forms of type 'form', it is RECOMMENDED that an
> entity does
> > not enforce a *different* default value if one *is* provided via a
> > <value/> element."
>
> How about this?
>
> In data forms of type "form", if the form-processing entity
> provided a
> default value via the <value/> element, the form-submitting entity
> SHOULD NOT attempt to enforce a default value other than that
> provided
> by the form-processing entity.

I could certainly live with that. But as a *general* rule I believe
clients know better than servers what the user wants (because they are
closer to the user and their context).

I believe we can trust the client developers to be reasonable. Most are
likely to follow a "RECOMMENDED", unless they have a good reason to do
otherwise. I'm confident there is plenty of scope to override default
values provided by the server with ones that are more suitable for a
particular user.

That said, I can live with this either way. :-)

Happy new year!

- Ian