[Standards-JIG] JEP-0060 (pubsub) node configuration

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Mon Jan 3 21:11:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 04:04:55PM -0500, Bob Wyman wrote:
> Ralph Meijer wrote:
> > I had thought a service would only sent a form (after node creation)
> > containing the fields a client can actually change. For seeing the
> > static data, the more complete form can be retrieved using
> > disco#info's meta-data attachment.
> 	We've been returning forms that contain all the current
> configuration items with the non-modifiable stuff in fixed fields. It seems
> to work well for us and is very simple to understand.
> 	I'm concerned that distinguishing between the static and non-static
> data is going to increase complexity significantly as well as require more
> round-trips without giving us a great deal of benefit. Can you provide
> additional justification for requiring that different methods be used for
> each kind of data?

Well, first of all, static data is not configurable, so while it might
such data might be properties of a node, they are not options.

Second, the fixed field type is not meant for data in this way, but really is
only for presentation. This is written in the JEP-0004 specification (table 2):

  The field is intended for data description (e.g., human-readable text such as
  "section" headers) rather than data gathering or provision. The <value/>
  child SHOULD NOT contain newlines (the \n and \r characters); instead an
  application SHOULD generate multiple fixed fields, each with one <value/>
  child.

Unlike for example in HTML, there is no way to specify an x:data field as
'read only'.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm