[Standards-JIG] Ad-hoc commands vs. separate protocols

Trejkaz Xaoza trejkaz at trypticon.org
Tue Jan 4 14:03:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 21:19, Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
> Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> >>And if I write a JEP, then everyone knows what is going to happen and
> >>what options should be displayed. So... every client author may provide
> >>a nice looking GUI that suits his client in the best way.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > There is the form field standarization JEP (JEP-68) to help client
> > authors create custom interfaces, still keeping data forms flexibility.
>
> Hmm... maybe you're right.
> But this sounds a bit like breaking the sacred rule of separating data
> and user interface.

If you ask me, this was broken the moment someone decided that we should have
text field and text area form elements, when both contain text.  But a
certain amount of crossover needs to occur in this sort of simple scheme,
otherwise you need to layer some form of stylesheet over the top of it. :-/

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz at trypticon.org>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/