[Standards-JIG] Re: Live Chat extension to Chat States (JEP-0085)

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Wed Jan 5 10:57:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:36:24 +0100, Heiner Wolf <wolf at bluehands.de> wrote:

> I agree. This feature can only be standardized if we find a specific
> optimised protocol. Any simple message-with-special-tag-and-namespace
> based approach is a waste of bandwidth.

well, this is a fact of life in Jabber, if you want to send some
information you'll have overhead of namespaces, wrappers, etc. In this
case the rate of information updates is simply higher than with sending
"complete" messages. For cases in which this is worth it (for example
TEXTphone style applications for the blind) there is nothing wrong with
this. You can always strike a balance in the update frequency if bandwith
is a really big issue.

I think if bandwith is this important to you though, it's better to look
into stream compression methods than to dismiss jabber as a protocol. It's
exactly this kind of repetative data that would compress well.